Friday, August 14, 2015

A Partnership Approach to Instructional Coaching

I am extremely excited to start this school year at two schools as an Instructional Coach.  This role is new in my tenure as an educator, and it combines my two passions of praxis and improving student learning.  I first heard the term "partnership approach," when reading Jim Knight's book, Unmistakable Impact (2011). His work, through the Kansas Coaching Project, solidifies the importance of having a coach as one of the elements in dramatically improving learning and instruction.  As stated in Unmistakable Impact, "Coaches help teachers take all the ideas and practices they are learning and bring them to life.  Without coaching, too often, no significant change occurs." With the demand of intensive evaluation systems, state and federal regulations, and school management, principals simply do not have the time for coaching.  That is where the IC's and teachers can learn together to improve in areas noted by the principal in the evaluation process.
Knight states that at its core, the partnership approach is about a simple idea: treat others the way you would like to be treated.  In any relationship that is the key to gaining trust in learning from one another.
This summer, I had the opportunity to study the teachings of Gandhi.  Through this process I learned how I can use my mission, vision, and values, as the foundation for my learning, thinking, and decision-making.  In learning more about myself, I am now better able to understand other's viewpoints and how my actions can affect our relationship.  In using these principles as the core of my work as an educator, I believe it will dramatically improve my relationships when working with teachers through the partnership approach.
It will be a great year as I embark on a new journey in my career as an educator.  I am grateful to have the opportunity to work with such motivated and dedicated teachers.  I know I will learn so much from them as we work to improve upon best practices in the classroom.  As always, our goal is not only to improve student learning, but the whole child, and I hope we will see some great results!
For more information on Jim Knight and the coaching process, you can visit one of my favorite websites on coaching by clicking on the caption below to view the Kansas Coaching Project website.


This is the book referenced in the above post. It was written by Jim Knight of the Kansas Coaching Project.

Thank you for reading!!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment